Indian Powerplus

1920


The Indian Powerplus was designed and built by the Hendee Manufacturing Company between 1916 and 1923. Designed by Charles Gustafson, the Powerplus was Indian’s first flathead engine and it proved itself to be both powerful and reliable. The Indian Powerplus was endowed with a 1000cc engine that was known for its removable cylinder head and upward-facing valves that sat off to the side of the piston. This side valve design featured a fully enclosed valve system that protected the engine from dust and debris. The Powerplus’ innovative setup provided the bike with endurance that won multiple competitions and set several high-speed racing records. The Indian Powerplus was also recognized for its unique controls. The bike featured twist grips on both handles with the left grip controlling the throttle while the right grip advanced or retracted the spark. Three additional controls – a vertically-operated shifter, an exhaust valve lifter, and a hand clutch lever – were stationed on the right side of the gas tank. The clutch lever was also linked to the clutch pedal which was positioned on the motorcycle’s left side. Production of the Powerplus ended with the introduction of its successor, the Chief. When the Indian Chief hit the market, the Powerplus’ was renamed to the “Standard,” indicating that the Powerplus was not as powerful as the newly introduced models. The 1920 Indian Powerplus displayed here is documented and was originally registered in Randers, Denmark on May 8, 1921. It also received a restoration before moving in between European and Norwegian collectors and finally settling into its home at Throttlestop.

  • Produced during the heyday of Indian production
  • The side valve design featured a totally enclosed valve system that protected it from dust and other debris
  • Documented and originally registered in Randers, Denmark on May 8, 1921
  • The “Powerplus” 1000 cc V-Twin was a very reliable and powerful engine known for its removable cylinder head and upward facing valves that sat off to the side of the piston (a flathead)
  • It proved itself in both endurance and high-speed racing setting records and winning events
  • It was restored in the 1980’s by a collector in Europe and purchased by the Swedish MC Collection in 1999