FN Four

1912


  • First introduced in 1904 in Belgium, the FN Four production ran until 1926
  • The engine was redesigned, and displacement increased to 498cc in 1910
  • One of the first serious attempts at an integrated motorcycle design rather than the usual bicycle with engine style
  • Note the oval acetylene headlamp
  • The original design had shaft drive, magneto ignition, splash lubrication, leading-link front fork, and automatic inlet valves
  • New cylinders had twelve cooling fins rather than the eleven (increased displacement) and used bolt and flange exhaust attachments versus the earlier screw-on type
  • This example uses a Bosch ZFN4 upright magneto incorporating a distributor (replacing the OEM inverted magneto / distributor setup)